Serving The Hamptons including:Southampton, Water Mill, Bridgehampton, Noyac, North Sea
Including:Shinnecock Hills Southampton Village, Water Mill, Bridgehampton, Sag Harbor, Sagaponack and East Hampton, New York.
Sag Harbor is known for its whaling history. Once the largest whaling port on the East Coast, Sag Harbor was settled sometime between 1707 and 1730. The first bill of lading using the name Sag Harbor was recorded in 1730. While some accounts say it was named for neighboring Sagaponack, which at the time was called "Sagg", Sagaponack and Sag Harbor both got their name from a tuber the Metoac Algonquins raised. One of the first crops that was sent back to England, the tuber-producing vine is now called the Apios americana. The Metoac called it sagabon. That is how the harbor and neighboring village got its name. Such namings were not unusual. Tuckahoein Westchester County, about 80 miles (130 km) from Sag Harbor, got its name from the aboriginal term for the Peltandra virginica, the Arrow Arum.
The port supplanted the East Hampton community of Northwest which is about 5 miles (8 km) east of Sag Harbor. International ships and the whaling industry had started in Northwest, but its port was too shallow. The most valuable whale product was whale oil which was used in lamps; thus it could be said that Sag Harbor was a major oil port.
By 1789 Sag Harbor had "had more tons of square-rigged vessels engaged in commerce than even New York City." It had become an international port. After the Second Session of Congress on July 31, 1789 Sag Harbor was declared the first official port on entering the United States. This turned Sag Harbor into a melting pot of different cultures. With Sag Harbor being the first stop on entering United States territory, this is where ships would stop before sailing to New York City to finish their trip. With all the ships coming in and out of Sag Harbor the United States government decided that they should place a customs house in the town. Long Island did not have a customs house before the one in Sag Harbor.